Oh, why not! It’s been a long time since I’ve done a post like this, but I have so many things to share from this week. It feels appropriate.
1. What I’m Reading
I’ve been doing a lot of soul searching when it comes to this post; that is, I feel like the intersection between feminism and femininity is where my heart lies. How do I reconcile the two? How can I revive the Refine Challenge that I did a few years ago, while also realizing that gender is a social construct and that there are so many problematic things about the concept of femininity.
That’s when I discovered Whipping Girl by Julia Serano. I honestly can’t put it down. Everything that I feared is addressed. This article is a condensed version of what is, essentially, an essay how femininity can actually be empowering.
Also, don’t forget that Feminist Happy Hour is next week! We will be discussing A Vindication of the Rights of Woman by Mary Wallstonecraft. If you haven’t joined my Facebook group yet, you can do so here.
2. What I’m Eating
So, I am not a vegetarian in any way, but I have been trying to eat more plant based meals, mainly because it’s just healthier for both the body and the planet. I feel like I could pretty much make an entire blog out of products from Trader Joe’s, and here are a few of my veggie favorites these days:
- Riced cauliflower stir fry :: I’ve been eating this almost every afternoon, either on its own or with some of TJ’s frozen chicken strips
- Indian fare :: Um, holy moly. this stuff is amazing.
- Polenta :: I’ve always made their polenta, but this week I added a log of goat cheese to it and hi. Might be my new favorite thing.
- Enchilada sauce :: I know, I live in Southern California, but TJ’s sauce is still my favorite. I’ve made the same enchiladas for years now too: a can of Cuban black beans, two tablespoons of sour cream, and a cup of Mexican shredded cheese. Half the time I make it like a lasagna: put the tortillas down and layer the filling, top with sauce and cheese. Bake for 40 minutes and serve with avocado.
3. What I’m Wearing
I got this dress from Rent the Runway last week and it may be the first thing I just buy from them. It’s SO comfortable and soft; I have a feeling it’s going to be a staple for the rest of the summer.
I’m hoping to get down to Nordstrom this weekend to get a few things from their sale (if you read blogs, you obviously know what’s going on). I’m thinking that I need some new boots (these are amazing) and a coat for fall. Here are some of my other favorites.
Olivia Moon Cotton Blend Blazer | Ted Baker Watch | NARS Eye and Cheek Palette | Drybar Wanderful Waves Set | Louis et Cie Bow Slides | Tory Burch Benton Pump | Nordstrom Luggage Set | Badgley Mischka Wool Coat | Maggy London Tie Neck Dress | Kate Spade Asymmetrical Stud Earrings | Kendra Scott Fringe Earrings | Ted Baker Wallet on a Chain | J.Crew Ruffle Sleeve Top | PAIGE Verdugo Skinny Jeans | Treasure and Bond Pendant Necklace
4. What I’m Drinking
I attempted a lavender margarita yesterday, and it was a SUCCESS. I’ll be sharing the recipe formally (along with photos) when my new Tequila Jo blog launches, but here you go for now:
- Make a lavender simple syrup by bringing 1 cup of water and 1 cup of sugar to a boil with some roughly chopped lavender. Let cool and strain into a pretty glass bottle.
- Shake together 1/2 ounce lavender syrup, 1 ounce fresh lime juice, and 2 ounces silver tequila with ice. Strain over fresh ice and garnish with lavender. Drink a few and then go to bed early.
5. What I’m Watching
At this very moment, Cars 3 (thanks Remi). I’m going to watch Nanette by Hannah Gasbdy again this weekend – if you haven’t watched it yet, PLEASE DO SO. We also recently watched a Quiet Place and my mama heart shattered into a thousand pieces. Robert and I are still working our way through House of Lies.
I decided to keep open my giveaway for three months to Rent the Runway for another week, so if you haven’t entered yet, you should probably get on that!
Robert is launching a new online course for anxiety on August 1, and it’s $150 until Monday ONLY! After that it goes up to $200, and then up to $300 on launch day. If you are ready to take back your life from anxiety, you NEED to check it out. Not only do I know firsthand how hard he’s been working on it, but I have anxiety myself. He knows his stuff.
Photo by Valeria Gonzalez