Oh, why not! It’s been a long time since I’ve done a post like this, but I have so many things to share from this week. It feels appropriate.
1. What I’m Reading
I’ve been doing a lot of soul searching when it comes to this post; that is, I feel like the intersection between feminism and femininity is where my heart lies. How do I reconcile the two? How can I revive the Refine Challenge that I did a few years ago, while also realizing that gender is a social construct and that there are so many problematic things about the concept of femininity.
That’s when I discovered Whipping Girl by Julia Serano. I honestly can’t put it down. Everything that I feared is addressed. This article is a condensed version of what is, essentially, an essay how femininity can actually be empowering.
Also, don’t forget that Feminist Happy Hour is next week! We will be discussing A Vindication of the Rights of Woman by Mary Wallstonecraft. If you haven’t joined my Facebook group yet, you can do so here.
2. What I’m Eating
So, I am not a vegetarian in any way, but I have been trying to eat more plant based meals, mainly because it’s just healthier for both the body and the planet. I feel like I could pretty much make an entire blog out of products from Trader Joe’s, and here are a few of my veggie favorites these days:
- Riced cauliflower stir fry :: I’ve been eating this almost every afternoon, either on its own or with some of TJ’s frozen chicken strips
- Indian fare :: Um, holy moly. this stuff is amazing.
- Polenta :: I’ve always made their polenta, but this week I added a log of goat cheese to it and hi. Might be my new favorite thing.
- Enchilada sauce :: I know, I live in Southern California, but TJ’s sauce is still my favorite. I’ve made the same enchiladas for years now too: a can of Cuban black beans, two tablespoons of sour cream, and a cup of Mexican shredded cheese. Half the time I make it like a lasagna: put the tortillas down and layer the filling, top with sauce and cheese. Bake for 40 minutes and serve with avocado.
3. What I’m Wearing
I got this dress from Rent the Runway last week and it may be the first thing I just buy from them. It’s SO comfortable and soft; I have a feeling it’s going to be a staple for the rest of the summer.
I’m hoping to get down to Nordstrom this weekend to get a few things from their sale (if you read blogs, you obviously know what’s going on). I’m thinking that I need some new boots (these are amazing) and a coat for fall. Here are some of my other favorites.
Olivia Moon Cotton Blend Blazer | Ted Baker Watch | NARS Eye and Cheek Palette | Drybar Wanderful Waves Set | Louis et Cie Bow Slides | Tory Burch Benton Pump | Nordstrom Luggage Set | Badgley Mischka Wool Coat | Maggy London Tie Neck Dress | Kate Spade Asymmetrical Stud Earrings | Kendra Scott Fringe Earrings | Ted Baker Wallet on a Chain | J.Crew Ruffle Sleeve Top | PAIGE Verdugo Skinny Jeans | Treasure and Bond Pendant Necklace
4. What I’m Drinking
I attempted a lavender margarita yesterday, and it was a SUCCESS. I’ll be sharing the recipe formally (along with photos) when my new Tequila Jo blog launches, but here you go for now:
- Make a lavender simple syrup by bringing 1 cup of water and 1 cup of sugar to a boil with some roughly chopped lavender. Let cool and strain into a pretty glass bottle.
- Shake together 1/2 ounce lavender syrup, 1 ounce fresh lime juice, and 2 ounces silver tequila with ice. Strain over fresh ice and garnish with lavender. Drink a few and then go to bed early.
5. What I’m Watching
At this very moment, Cars 3 (thanks Remi). I’m going to watch Nanette by Hannah Gasbdy again this weekend – if you haven’t watched it yet, PLEASE DO SO. We also recently watched a Quiet Place and my mama heart shattered into a thousand pieces. Robert and I are still working our way through House of Lies.